Book review: The Three by Sarah Lotz...


The Three is a gripping thriller about Black Thursday. The day that four planes crash at almost exactly the same time at four different points across the globe. There are only four survivors, three are children who emerge from the wreckage seemingly unhurt, and the fourth is Pamela May Donald, who lives long enough to record a phone message. A message that will change the world. The message is a warning.

The most interesting thing about this book is that it is written documentary style. So it is a collection of witness accounts, articles, and online exchanges in chronological order after the events of Black Thursday. Because of this style the story seems very real, and at times found my self getting quite creeped out.

On the surface this story is a gripping and exciting thriller full of twists about a major worldwide event, and under the surface it is a very clever look at the power of fear. I think this is the side of the book I found most powerful, and conspiracy theories, and devout religious predictions of the end of the world actually leading the human race into a state of panic isn't so far off from our world now. People going mad with paranoia, and others taking advantage and cashing in on it seemed all too real and frightening. 

I really enjoyed Sarah Lotz writing style, and she managed to jump between different narrators and voices effortlessly, giving us many perspectives from all over the world. Some of the characters were unlikeable but they were all somehow relateable.

The Three had quite a few twists, and to be completely honest I had absolutely no idea where it was going to go. The last quarter was particularly exciting and the end was *BAM* like a punch.  I did not see it coming, but it was brilliant. 

I really enjoyed this book a lot, and gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. I really recommend picking this one up, it's definitely one of the best books I've read this year, and I'm already half way through the sequel! 

Find me on Goodreads here.
Check out my past book reviews here.

5 comments:

  1. danniella josephine25 May 2015 at 13:28

    This book sounds mental! I think it would rip my nerves to shreds. Great review :))

    Dannie x

    www.famousinjapan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. I'm going to see how much it is on the Kindle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you read it let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely on the scary side! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.