Book review: iZombie series by Chris Roberson & Michael Allred...


IZombie is about Gwen a fully functioning zombie who has to eat a brain a month to survive. Every time she eats a brain she gets flashbacks of the previous owners life and decides to help them with their unfinished business. Helping her along the way is her ghost friend from the 60's, and a geeky guy who once a month turns into a were- terrier. 

The story is fun, although there are a few plot holes here and there. I felt that sometimes they were trying to squash too many subplots in and some parts got a bit confusing. This series was clearly inspired by classic horror as there were stories and characters borrowed from the likes of Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy as well as vampires, were-creatures, and every other monster you can think of! There was even a little nod to Shaun of the Dead. I would be very surprised if the writers were not fans of Buffy as it shared the same quick witted dialogue and characterisations. I found the artwork on the whole striking and enjoyable although there were parts a little inconsistent in quality which is a shame.

Overall I enjoyed the four volume series, but I feel like the characters were a lot stronger than the story which started out really good but waned a little towards the end. If you are a fan of shows like Buffy and Being Human then I'd say this is definitely worth a try. 

I've also read they are making a TV series based on this comic which I'll definitely check out.

Also is it me or does Gwen bare a very striking resemblance to Brody Dalle?!



Find me on Goodreads here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.